Tuesday, February 15, 2011

You attend WHAT college?

I knew when I started this whole college thing that I was going to catch crap.  I've pretty much heard it all - "you're getting your degree from a cracker jack box?"  "Is that even a real college?"  "Is your degree really worth anything?" "It's not REAL college."

Well for all of you taking your big swigs of University of Phoenix flavored Hatorade, whatever.  There's been multiple debates on both sides of this.  There are those for online colleges and against.  Of those that are for online colleges, there is a debate as to whether places like U of P are as good as online degrees offered by "real" colleges or universities like say, Western.  The thing is, I don't much care. 

When I started almost 3 years ago, I did all the research.  I made sure it was an accredited university.  I knew going in that a lot of people would be negative.  I know there are still plenty of people that think it's "easy."  I can assure you, it's NOT easy.  I can tell you, it's almost like the alternative education schools out there.  What are those schools for?  No, they are not just for the "bad" kids.  They are for kids that need a different type of learning.

I flunked out of traditional or "real" college 3 times.  Why?  Because I'm lazy and undisciplined and was BORED OUT OF MY MIND.  I did not want to sit in a classroom for 2-4 hours and listen to some ancient professor drone on and on.  I don't fault those that do.  I'm actually envious of those who successfully finish "real" college.  When I decided to go back this time, I knew it had to be something different as I, obviously, can't handle the norm.  This works for me.  Would it work for everyone?  Hell no.  Do I want my kids to do this?  HELL no.  But, it works for me. 

As to it being easier than traditional college, maybe.  What people don't realize is that I still have to attend class.  I have to be present in class 4 days out of the week.  Not only that, when others who attend traditional college can sit in their class and not say a word, I am required to respond.  I still have to write endless papers.  I'm CONSTANTLY writing papers.  I still have the big old books that have to be read....the multiple chapters in one week.  Yes, I have to do that too.  You may have had to write more or longer papers, sure.  Your professors may have expected more.  I won't argue that. 

My point here is, don't knock it.  I don't knock your college education, don't knock mine.

1 comment:

  1. I've seen the campus for the University of Phoenix. It IS a REAL university. They actually were the first University to pioneer on-line college education. They are the leader at what they do. Yes, they have satellite campuses in most of the states, but their central campus is in Phoenix.
    Don't feel like you are being cheated in any way. Your degree will stand up next and probably better than any Big 10 or Pack 10 degree. Those students get mostly grad asses. You get real people.
    I am so very very proud of you. Maybe we should have considered this the first, second or third time.

    ReplyDelete