Monday, January 28, 2013

It's in these moments...

that I am reminded why I coach.  We had a meet tonight.  We didn't win.  It doesn't matter.  I don't care that we didn't win - ok, I care a little, but in the big scheme of things, it's ok.  We found where there are some problem areas.  We saw places that need extra work.  We also saw a couple girls step up.  I watched an amazing young lady throw a killer vault tonight - twice.  Was it perfect?  Nope.  Why was it amazing?  Because it's a big ass vault and she did it.  That is enough.  I watched another young lady floor it (if you will) on floor.  Did she fall?  Yup.  Do I care?  Nope.  Why?  Because she had the guts to go for it.  I watched a girl who swore she would never compete beam, compete beam.  Did she fall?  Yup.  Does it matter?  Nope.  Why?  Because she conquered her fear and did it.  I watched a young girl nail a floor routine that she's needed all season.  

The best part?  That's not even the half of it.  That's only the beginning.  That's only mentioning a few of them.  That's not mentioning the goofy falls on beam where instead of tears we had laughter.  Why is that ok?  Well, because it's better to be able to laugh at yourself to move on than focus on the bad things.  It's done; you can't change it; move on. 

What topped out my entire evening was a text I received from one of the girls.  This is what it said....

"Hey Jamie, I just wanted to say your the best coach anyone can have!  You always bring me up when I'm down!  I'll be at practice tomorrow ready to work hard and get my bars and beam perfect for Wednesday!  Thank you for also being hard on me.  I wouldn't be where I am if it weren't for you!  Love you!  See you tomorrow!"

Is there anything better than that?  Sometimes I wonder if these girls realize how much they mean to me.  They aren't just gymnasts that I coach.  These are my girls.  They are such a HUGE part of my life and I love each and every one of them with all of my heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment