Thursday, June 9, 2011

Stupid is as stupid says...

Ok, well, I'm annoyed, not that you couldn't have figured that out.  I ususally only blog like this when I'm annoyed.  The thing is, my annoyance is probably solely caused by my lack of sleep.  If you know me, you know I require 7-9 hours of sleep per night in order to be a decent human being.  Last week I averaged 5-6 then got a good 11 hours in Saturday night.  However, sleeping until 11 on Sunday makes going to bed at a decent hour Sunday night difficult - so the vicous cycle starts again - and I am in bitch mode.

My issue at the moment is people who say stupid stuff and think nothing of it.  Someone who will remain un-named (although it was no one that lives in my house, thankfully) made a snarky comment to me yesterday that initially annoyed me and now just flat out pisses me off.  This person basically said that he/she would not want to live if he/she was not fully functional. 

WTF does that mean?  I know what it meant, because I know what was being discussed prior to that and that's why I am pissed.  Are you saying that someone with a prosthetic leg is not fully functional?  Even though that person could potentially run a marathon, does that prosthetic leg make them not fully functional?  How about those who are deaf?  They are not fully functional?  Even though they can hold jobs just like you and I?  ARE YOU SAYING that my brother is not fully functional because he has one bum fucking arm?  Excuse me?  See, I was fine with it (ish) until it got a bit personal.  Who the hell are you to define what fully functional is?  Granted, I do not believe I know anyone with a prosthetic leg, I can tell you that my brother is fully functional - and one of the most amazing men I have ever known. 

Of course, due to the exhaustion, I haven't been able to let this go and it's still stewing.  I guess, my next question would be, so you're saying if you're not "fully functional" you would rather die?  Because you are so fucking vain, you would rather die than watch your kids graduate from high school?  Or get married?  What kind of person thinks like that?  Who values life so little to be willing to give it up because of an obstacle?

Life is full of obstacles.  I want to surround myself with people that will help me get over mine and I want to be there to help others get over theirs.  But I also want to surround myself with people who have compassion for those who are not "fully functional" and people who value the life we were given and live it to the fullest REGARDLESS of what is thrown at them.

K, I think I'm done.  Unfortunately, I'm still pissed.

1 comment:

  1. Amen!

    Do you feel better :D at least it's good to say it SOMEWHERE...blog therapy :D

    ReplyDelete